FDA Update: Advance Planning and Supply Chain Management Can Save Lives in Case of a Disaster
National Preparedness Month:
Tips for Medical Device Manufacturers and Distributors
Disasters can strike at any time. These emergency situations can disrupt the supply chain and threaten the availability of medical devices.
In support of National Preparedness Month, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH) would like to remind you about the crucial role you have in
protecting public health throughout emergencies and disasters.
This year’s theme is “Take Control in 1, 2, 3” and focuses on helping older adults plan for emergency situations. Older adults can face higher risks during disasters, and they are more
likely to use medical devices.
Preparedness can save lives. Now is the time to plan for future events. Review best practices to minimize supply chain disruptions and ensure continued availability, delivery, and use of medical
devices. CDRH offers the following tips:
- Update risk management and contingency plans.
- Identify areas that may be disrupted during a disaster and plan accordingly.
- Develop a communications plan to convey important information, such as product availability and delivery updates.
Preparedness and planning tools
To learn more, we encourage medical device manufacturers and distributors to click on the following resources:
- Emergency Preparedness and Medical Devices: Supply Chain Recommendations for Health Care Providers, Device Manufacturers and Distributors
- Resilient Supply Chain Program for Medical Devices
- Notify the FDA About a Medical Device Supply Issue
- National Preparedness Month
For more information on emergency preparedness and medical devices please email us at:
firstname.lastname@example.org and ref: emergency preparedness and medical devices.
Be up to date on all the FDA Updates from mdi Consultants!